Thursday, August 2, 2007

Winner or Loser?

Every morning on the way to work, i always listen to one of the radio station here in Perth. The morning session is led by 3 funny and creative people (Em, Wippa and Tim). I never got bored listening to them, they do silly things and raise a funny and controversial topics for discussion which involve the listeners. Sometimes i just laugh myself in the car listening to them.

This morning, they raised one particular topic that interest me.
It's a story about Em's friend that bought a $700 dress but paid for only $70 because of the cashier girl's mistake. She realised that and she kept quiet and wait for the cashier girl to notice her mistake, but that never happen until she went home and waited for a week, still the shop did not make a contact. Now, Em told the listener that her friend had 'win'. She said that her friend deserved the dress and did not cheat. Then they challenged the listener to call them and tell them what they think, whether she should keep the dress or actually do the right thing.

Out of 5 or 6 callers, only 2 said that she should do the right thing!

Caller 1:........"Yes, she deserved that"
Caller 2:........"Well, that's gift from God!" (What de...!@$#!)
Caller 3:........"The shop deserves the loss as they've probably marked up the price up to 200%"

I really wanted to call them and give my opinion about this, but since i was driving in freeway, i just decided not to. And i remember this happened to my fiance yesterday.

He went to the ATM to get some cash and before he even put the card in, he found cash on the cash drawer, it was a thick pile of $50s. He said looking from the pile, it was definitely more than $1,000. He looked around, and he decided to go to the bank and return the money to whoever incharge. He spoke to one of the counter girl and there was an old lady there sitting on the couch, she had a problem with her ATM card, and the money was actually hers. My finace said, the old lady couldn't stop thanking him for the cash he decided to return.

Sometimes, the point is more than "deserve" or "their mistake" or "marked up price". Maybe it's true that the shop has marked up the price like crazy and it's true that it's totally their mistake. It's a question of your morality. Can you imagine the trouble that the cashier girl will go through? or the pain for the old lady if my fiance decided to take the money?, i mean he could totally bring that home, no name printed on the notes, and he could certainly claim the money as his. But can you live your life knowing that something doesnt belongs to you? and you have deal with that feeling for the rest of your life?

I still dont agree with Em saying that her friend is 'a winner' in this situation, it's been said that women have as strong connection with fashion but for me a winner is someone who is capable of controlling themselves despite of any connection that u have with anything. When you decided to buy the dress, it means that you have prepared the $700 to be spent then you have to be ready to let that go, rite?

In the end, maybe you can get the dress for $70, a fridge for $50 or even a house for $500. But you can't get the old lady's face when she got the money back, or the relieve face of the cashier girl when you tell her the correct amount. They are more valuable than dress and other things that will not last. You can't buy those faces no matter how much you spend because those things are priceless.

So, are you a winner or a loser?
Me? i definitely lose to win :)

3 comments:

kezia*anastasia said...

very nicely put, fang. I totally agree with you, it's an honest mistake tapi that doesn't mean that we should not point that out just to keep them out of trouble.

good for Indra to return those money to the old lady. Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. I believe Indra has pleased the Lord with his actions.

:)

Oh for the love of food! said...

Hi Pang Pang, thanks for visiting my blog. Did you get my link through Pastor D's Blog? Anyway, I really enjoyed reading your post and your engagement photos are amazing! I'm sorry, I'm quite 'blind' at times, I don't think I've seen you in Church before, but I've seen your Fiance because he's part of the worship team , right? I would love to say hello and congratulate you both personally this Sunday, so I will be looking out for you!

I listen to Em, Whippa and Tim most mornings as I'm driving the girls to school, but missed this particular one you're talking about on this post, I like Em, but there are times that I disagree with her, for example, did you hear the one where they were commenting on Snoop Dogg not being allowed (by John Howard) to enter Australia recently because of his very 'open' dealings with Drugs? Em spoke on behalf of Snoop Dogg and Booed our Prime Minister. I was a little shocked and disappointed because she has a little girl herself, and that little girl will grow up someday be exposed to drugs. What will her stand be on the matter then? Music is such an influential form of media in the lives of young people and if we support artists that endorse the use of drugs, aren't we indirectly supporting drug usage?

Pang Pang, Ming and I had a similar situation (like your fiance's)happen to us a couple of years ago , Ming went to the ATM to withdraw some money, he removed his card but forgot to take the money ($250), when we went back to the ATM ten minutes later, the money was gone. We just had to tell ourselves that someone needed that money more than we did. Sorry for talking so much, Pang Pang! See you Sunday!

PangTama said...

Hi Carol, thanks for dropping a comment on my blog. Your blog is amazing!!! i feel hungry everytime i visit your blog :).

I love Em, Wippa and Tim too, they are funny and hillarious hahaha...it's just made me bit sad that most of the people will allow themselves 'win' in this situation.

Yes, i used to go to the morning service but lately i've been going to the afternoon service. Hope to see u around at church. :)